Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Driving When There's A Jam

A red Savvy played her right signal light indicating that she wanted to move into the lane I was driving. Seeing the light blinking, I didn't hesitate but to slow down and let her move in. I could feel myself grinning. Why? The moment I saw her hand raised and waved at me, I could feel that she is thanking me. I do have the same habit and I call it 'giving five ringgit', especially when you raise your hand with all your five fingers shown upright. Sometimes I do get a 'fifty cents', but not to worry, it's not from a road bully showing me his/her fist. I would say most probably s/he has a small hand.

Jam, it's sweet when you can spread it on bread and cakes. Jam, it's bitter when you are stuck in one. It's even more bitter when you are in your car, observing other drivers around you having one thousand and one facial expressions. After a long day of hard work at the workplace, do we deserve to be stuck in a jam, you may ask. Everyone is longing to reach home and may be trying their best to reach their destination as soon as possible. I think at this very moment, if there were snails or tortoises walking beside us, even Kancil, Rusa, Kenari would have to raise a white flag.

There was this moment where I called it coincidence, when my hubby told me to look on my left. Lo and behold, this lady driver in a car next to us was singing the song I was singing too! Well, I could read her lips, hehe... Obviously, we were listening to the same radio station, enjoying the same song! How often can you have such coincidence? It's very rare indeed. I felt happy at that moment and could see myself grinning from my reflection of my car's side mirror.

Back to the signal indicator... Is it so difficult for the drivers to provide a sign whether they have decided to turn left or right or to more into the left lane or into the right lane? Is it so tedious to lift a finger and push the device? I've tried not giving any signs and what I got was stares of anger. Giving a signal is sort of asking a permission. It doesn't show that you are a weak driver or an uncool one. Most of all, it reduces unwanted problems and everyone is able to head for home safe and sound... well, minus the heart attack given by some drivers who are fickle-minded.

No comments: