Saturday, May 8, 2010

Never Judge a Book by Its Cover

It was last night. We've brought our parents to a restaurant in Uptown to have a dinner to celebrate Mother's Day. As we were all quite hungry, we hurried into a restaurant. As soon as I entered the eating outlet, I looked around for a comfortable place to be seated. Having chosen a table nearest to the entrance of the restaurant by majority, I just agreed.

At first, I found a bit difficulty of getting into my seat that I mumbled, making a little remark on the customer next to our table under my breath. Why couldn't she sit properly by occupying the whole chair? Such inconvenience to us all... Anyhow, I sat on the other side and kept asking if my parents were seated comfortably despite the narrow gap in between the chairs.

Half way through having our dinner, the customer was lifted by another two in order to vacate her seat. That was the time when I felt my eyes welled with tears, not too obvious to be seen by my family members though. I felt apologetic and kept on praying for her.

It has never crossed my mind the difficulty and illness that she is facing until my mother uttered 'Parkinson's disease'. My heart sank deeper. That should teach me a lesson! From then, I keep on reminding myself to never judge a book by its cover, especially to this poor sickly lady and her close friends, who are kind enough to bring her out to see the outdoors. I ate silently and chanted a prayer for her seeking for her forgiveness and wishing her all the best.

3 comments:

curryegg said...

You made me tear with this story. Thank you for sharing. I am praying for her and people who are suffering diseases.. God bless..

curryegg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tourmaline Jo Bear said...

well, nobody is perfect, today we may be high and mighty, how about the next day? nobody knows...