Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Christmas Party at NASAM Ampang for the Strokees

NASAM Ampang's Christmas Tree ^^

This was the look of the centre when it was decorated.

The Strokees were having a game.

Entertainment at the open space outside the centre by Simon (the one playing guitar) and pals.

We were singing 'Santa Claus is coming to NASAM' as Santa Claus himself was walking down the stairs from the office.

The Strokees are having their western lunch served by the volunteers.

Did I mention yesterday that we are going to have a Christmas Party at NASAM Ampang for the Strokees today? Yup, I did and I attended it too! Thank goodness I have traded my facial treatment this morning with my presence at such a fantastic and meaningful party of the year for NASAM Ampang's Strokees. What's more wonderful, Ms. N is getting her break of the year!
I was rushing there as I was not familiar with the traffic in Ampang especially in the morning. I was there 15 minutes late, sorry Ms. N... Once I was there, I started to wrapped the gifts as promised. Then I moved on to decorate the Strokees' nametags with glittering string of gold. We, the volunteers (gee, am I a volunteer by now too?), had the glittering string of red. Some tied it around their necks, some on the wrists, and some, well, they were more creative than I thought (I won't be detail, you do the imagination yourself)... And not forgetting the Strokees' loved ones (inclusive of their maids), they had glittering string of green... Now, you may ask, why the colour coding... it was thought by the NASAM Admin, to make sure that the Santa Claus could identify the Strokees easily.

The Strokees came and were helped to sit in a big circle at the porch. They had a game, passing the parcels. A few Strokees were given parcels to hold. They would have to pass the parcels until the music stopped. Once the music was stopped, the Strokees who were holding the parcels would have to perform according to the slips of paper chosen. If they were able to do them, the parcels that they held were theirs. This had added delight to them. How many of us could really think of such way to play this game?

After the game, we had a singing session. We sang Christmas songs and a Mandarin number. I joined Simon and his friends too to sing. I was thinking that my voice could change the fine weather of that morning when somebody complimented that I can sing! I was so happy that moment, really... hopefully, it was more of a sincere compliment than an insult (which I usually get...) thanks Mr. L., that boosted a bit of my level of confidence.

Once the lunch was ready, with table cloth and utensils and serviettes laid beautifully to the Christmas theme, we wheeled and helped the Strokees into the hall. And soon, almost everybody was munching away. The food prepared were delicious! I could see those Strokees emptying their plate quite fast. As they were eating, Simon and his friends started to sing 'Santa Claus is Coming to NASAM' when a Santa Claus seen walking down the stairs. He started to distribute little gifts to the Strokees and the volunteers too! I got a dairy milk chocolate bar (I had not eaten any chocolate for some time, so this was a good excuse for me to enjoy it then, hehe...)! Then dessert were served. The result of Ms. and Mr. NASAM were also announced, Ms. NASAM went to Madam Lisa who had worn a beautiful red dress with red scarf and Mr. NASAM went to Mr. Durai, a look at him and he could be mistaken as Tony Fernandez of AirAsia at the Christmas Party! We even celebrated two Strokees' birthday! How happy they were as we sang a birthday song to both of them and each of them even had a birthday cake to call their own!

Once the food was cleared, the cakes were distributed, the Strokees started to leave for home. All of us were seen cleaning up the centre as there would be another session of therapy for the Strokees at 2 in the afternoon. I had a good time there, helping and enjoying myself. I wonder when will my next visit be... I will try my best to keep a couple of days free come March 2009, there's a week's break. Keeping my fingers crossed and praying hard.

Thanks to Ms. N and her colleague, thanks to NASAM Ampang volunteers, Irene, and those whose names I can't recall (sorry ya...) sharing their stories, experience and knowledge about volunteering at NASAM, thanks to Simon, Mr. L and their friends for the wonderful singing session together.

To the Strokees of NASAM Ampang and all the NASAM centres in the country, I pray for your happiness, recovery and good health!

Happy Christmas & Merry New Year 2009!

This is truly one of the most memorable events this year and I am so glad that I can treasure it via blogging and share with you, you and you ^^...

No comments: