Monday, December 15, 2008

My Half Day at NASAM Ampang

NASAM Ampang

The Strokees are having a warm-up session.

The look of the compound after everyone had left at 5 in the evening.

I met Ms. N in the month of August 2006 because I needed physiotherapy treatment at the hospital she worked in. From three times a week of treatments, it became once a week. Then, I was fully recovered and thank goodness I didn't need to go there anymore. During my treatments done by Ms. N, we had a good time chatting about what girls chat about. Believe me, the treatments were not really pleasant but I needed them. The conversations we had somehow shortened the time for every part of my treatments there. Thanks to her and not forgetting her staff then, that I have recovered fast. When the time came that I did not need the treatments anymore, Ms. N was informing me that she was leaving the place too. We exchanged numbers and we do keep in touch since then.

NASAM Ampang is her new workplace. I've heard a lot about it via phone conversations and e-mails, and during our short outings together. I listen to her stories with full interest. The reason? She treats her patients like how I treated my students in school! Or her patients' (mostly above 50s) behaviours are like the secondary students I taught in school!

Finally, I braved myself, I learnt my way to the centre. I read the map on the Internet, made short notes and remembered the route mentally too. I reached there about 12 noon after I missed the first turning on my left into Jalan Awan. I really hope the relevant authority will put up the roadsign there or am I too blind to see it today? I gave a call to Ms. N and she gave me the direction, "after Flamingo Hotel, drive a little further about 100m then turn left when you see the signboard of Pasar Kuala Ampang," for that I did an illegal U-turn...

It was 12 noon, most strokees had left after their morning session. I felt quite disappointed at first. Nevertheless, Ms. N told me that there would be another batch in the afternoon and a Christmas party on the next day... We went out for lunch somewhere nearby on foot and ta-pao-ed for Ms. C (the admin there) her lunch. Nice yet simple lunch, we had economic rice and I gave most of my meat to a stray dog there.

The Strokees for the afternoon session arrived at 2 in the afternoon. Some were pushed in by wheelchair or walked in slowly with the help from their maid or their own child/husband/wife/sister/brother/relatives. Then, they were seated in a circle. Two physio trainees took turns to conduct warm-up exercises with them, with Ms. N's supervision, of course! At this moment, I had started to help. Being my first time, I observed how the staff did their part and I tried my best to be as gentle with them as possible.

I got to know a few Strokees when I was introduced to them by Ms. N. All of them were stroke patients before of different causes and their levels of recovery also differ. Some were seen to be doing their routine without much difficulty. Some were seen struggling even to have an opened palm from a clenched fist. I felt sad the moment her tears were wiped away by her carer. I felt a bit upset when another cried out loud for she could not take the pain much more. However, it takes an experienced physiotherapist like Ms. N to know whether those were true or they were faking... They can act like small children who don't eat green vegetables served, if you know what I mean. They can fake so that they can stop the painful routine when it is the routine they need in order to reduce the pain and enable them to move about again.

For the Strokees, every move they make is a pain. However, for their loved ones, every pain they can see is a neverending agony...
With the NASAM centres formed in most of the states in Peninsular Malaysia, may they serve and live with their motto "YES! There is Life After Stroke!"

Read all about NASAM here.

1 comment:

Dino and Family said...

Nice meeting you, Tourmaline Bear! Happy Holidays to you! Love, Dino