Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Twilight

The movie Twilight directed by Catherine Hardwicke.

The novel Twilight written by Stephenie Meyer.

I have watched the movie and have read the novel of the same title. This time around, it some sort gave a sense of deja vu. I have never thought I would be blogging about it. The last time I did something similar was when I had to submit my assignment for my Literature paper for my degree. Doing a comparative study on 'A Passage to India' after watching the movie and reading the novel. If you were from USM doing English as your major at the School of Humanities and were taught by Dr Gitu Chakravathy, I'm quite sure you had completed such assignment too. FYI, I got an A- for this assignment, muahahaha... (why did I sound so wicked suddenly? Shaking my head left and right a few times...)

I finished the novel in less than 5 days. Mephy encouraged me to purchase the novels (which was at a very good price, two-in-one for the price of RM49.90 at Borders Tropicana City Mall). I didn't regret owning them. FYI, I'm reading New Moon at the moment, rather slow...

Now... do I still do a comparative study here? A bit lazy, since it's not going to be graded, hmmm...

I have watched the making of the movie via youtube. I am still fascinated by what the author, Stephenie Meyer, has mentioned, the novel was written with visuals appearing in her mind and how she hoped to see it materialised in a movie. Well, her dream came true! A story by her, a movie produced, two superstars are born, Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson!

I have watched the movie before reading the novel. Maybe due to that, I could finish the novel in less than five days. Everything is so detailed in the novel, with more exciting moments shared by the two main characters. I tried to visualise too as I was reading the novel. Whenever Edward and Bella's names are mentioned, their features appear in my mind. This goes the same for the other characters as well. It is like the extended sort of movie is playing in my mind too. I think fans of Twilight would not mind much if the novel is made into series of drama in detail, episode by episode, and everybody will be glued to the screen when the time comes. So, that's one good thing about reading and visualising at the same time.

The novel is written from Bella's point of view. However, I have found something more exciting than that. I saw 'Midnight Sun' somewhere on the net, and it is written from Edward's point of view. I wonder if it is published. This is because I only have the chance of reading its very first chapter only via pdf.

Hmm... I wonder how it would be like if I have read the novel first than watched the movie next. Would I be disappointed? Maybe yes, maybe no. I'll test this by watching 'Marley and Me' next year as I have already read the novel last year. It's my birthday gift from somebody special ^^.

Since this is not a comparative study, it is not really a review either, and I am still wondering what is it really! Maybe a brief sharing about my current favourite movie. A nice movie I enjoyed watching, a romantic-horror movie that I don't have to cover my eyes with anything when the (handsome and beautiful) vampires appeared in front of my eyes. And the effect? I was not afraid at all to travel in a dark lift to my empty office at Level 4 yesterday. Yikes! I have not considered those who are the opposites!

I don't find it a surprise when I saw the novel is also published in Chinese at the bookstore and is sold at RM29.90. Now, I wonder if this novel is also published in Malay language here...

No comments: